Wednesday, April 25, 2012

TxLA takeaways - Thanks, Kathy Schrock

I have used Kathy Schrock's 5 W's of Website Evaluation mini-poster for ages, because I like how simple it is for students to remember....  

I have lurked on her websites here and here...

And, hallelujah!  I finally had the chance to learn from Kathy herself at the TxLA annual conference at a session on Infographics.

Some of my best take-aways had nothing to do with Infographics specifically, and the ideas are so simple, they are brilliant.

VIDEO AS REVIEW
At the end of the first hour, which was mostly lecture, she showed the video below as review.  It is made up of her powerpoint slides that she lectured from.  And she posted it online where I can refer to it over and over and over again.  I know I will be using this technique with future lessons.





GUIDE STUDENT GOOGLE SEARCHES WITH LINKS
Kathy provided links to google searches with the query already in place.  Middle school students researching history immediately come to mind, but I think this would be an excellent tool with all ages.  What a great way to model use of quotation marks and other Boolean limiters!
Some of Kathy's examples:
Movie Infographics
Education Infographics
Election Infographics




1 comment:

  1. Love this stuff! I can't keep up with all this LEARNING! The crazy thing is, I STILL HAVE SO MUCH TO LEARN FROM YOU! :) .... and KS.

    ReplyDelete